Task Force on Preventing Childhood Obesity
In 2008, North Carolina legislation established a Task Force on Preventing Childhood Obesity (Task Force). The State Health Director and the Chairman of the State Board of Education co-chaired the Task Force.
The Task Force reviewed the current State activities in the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Public Instruction, and the Health and Wellness Trust Fund and developed a comprehensive statewide strategic plan with recommendations for preventing childhood obesity.
The legislation stated that the goals of the strategic plan shall encompass the following framework of initiatives:
- Providing healthier food to students.
- Improving the availability of healthy foods at home and in the community.
- Increasing the frequency, intensity, and duration of physical activity in the schools.
- Encouraging communities to establish a master plan for pedestrian and bicycle pathways.
- Improving access to safe places where children can play.
- Developing activities or programs that limit children's screen time, including limits on video games and television.
A planning committee for the Task Force, comprised of DPH and DPI members, was convened. This group met and developed a timeline for meeting the objectives set forth by the legislature. These include the following steps:
- Dr. Devlin and Chairman Lee developed a list of task force members and invited them to a series of three meetings.
- The task force meetings were held September 18, October 9 and November 14, 2008.
- In addition to the main task force, a subcommittee was charged with addressing pilot projects.
- The planning committee for the Task Force asked that Eat Smart Move More: NC's Plan to Prevent Overweight, Obesity and Related Chronic Diseases goals and objectives help frame the recommendations for the final report. The report was published January 15, 2009.
Task Force Members
Report from the North Carolina Task Force on Preventing Childhood Obesity
Task Force Proceedings
September 18, 2008
- September 18 Agenda
- Childhood Obesity in NC: DPH Approaches
- NC Health and Wellness Trust Fund Obesity Initiative
- Education Initiatives to Prevent Childhood Obesity
- IMPACT Childhood Obesity
- Next Steps for Task Force
- September 18 Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2008
- NCIOM Prevention Task Force: Recommendations To Reduce & Prevent Obesity
- NC Task Force Built Environment Presentation
- October 9 Final Agenda
- October 9 Meeting Minutes: Second of Three meetings
November 14, 2008
- November 14 Final Agenda
- November 14 Meeting Minutes
DPI Think Tank
- September 18 DPI Think Tank Meeting Minutes
- October 13 DPI Think Tank Meeting Minutes
- Terry Sanford Award announcement