Eat Smart, Move More NC Recipes for Success
June 23, 2008
How the county High School creates a fitness trail for their community.
Families Fit Together
- Graham County families
- County Health Department
- Healthy Carolinians-Graham County: Family Fitness Subcommittee
- Graham County Schools
- Graham County Cooperative Extension
- Stanley Furniture
- Graham County Dept of Social Services
- US Forest Service
- Graham County Soil and Water Conservation
- Graham County Development Dept
- Graham County Family Resource Center
- Town of Robbinsville Maintenance Dept
- Graham County School Health Advisory Committee
- Graham County Commissioners
Resources needed for the project
- Eat Smart, Move More NC Community Grant funding
- $10,000 for Fit Trail fitness stations
- $6,000 for gravel, culvert, landscaping fabric
- Incentives, educational materials
- 2 community workdays
A Fit-Trail with approx one mile of walking trail and 20 fitness stations was installed at the county high school. A family fitness challenge was conducted, encouraging Graham County families to adopt one new physical activity or healthy eating habit each month.
Basic steps to implementing the project
- A meeting was organized of community stakeholders to apply for the grant and coordinate the project.
- County workers prepared the site for the trail construction
- A contractor installed the walking trail
- A volunteer work day was held to landscape the trail
- The fitness stations were installed
- The community awareness campaign was launched, promoting healthy eating and physical activity.
- Approx 1 year, June 2006 - June 2007
Outcomes of the project
- The one-mile trail with 20 fitness stations was completed. 41 students were referred to and received nutritional counseling. 239 people participated in a fitness challenge and reported a cumulative weight loss of 1781.5 pounds.
Name, Title: Kristen Shuler, RN, Health Promotion Coordinator
Agency: Graham County Health Department
Address: 113 Moose Branch Road, PO Box 546
City, State, Zip: Robbinsville, NC 28771
Phone: 828-479-7900 ext 228