Eat Smart, Move More: North Carolina's Plan to Prevent Overweight, Obesity and Chronic Diseases Emphasizes Evidence-Based Strategies
In order to effectively prevent obesity in North Carolina, we must use evidence-based strategies. Evidence-based strategies are those that have been shown to be effective through a rigorous review of current scientific studies. The Eat Smart, Move More NC Movement utilizes these national sources of evidence-based strategies.
- Improving the Health of All Americans through Better Nutrition
- A brief fact sheet on nutrition from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (5 pages).
- Weight-Control Information Network Fact Sheet
- A short collection of overweight and obesity information and statistics. (8 pages).
- Convergence Partnership – Promising Strategies for Creating Healthy Eating and Active Living Environments
- A convenient introductory document about strategies for creating healthy eating and active living environments (15 pages).
- Shaping a Healthier Generation: Successful State Strategies to Prevent Childhood Obesity
- Strategy guide for state-level policies written by the National Governors Association (65 pages).
- Leadership for Healthy Communities – Action Strategies Toolkit
- A detailed report for policy makers on strategies for creating healthy communities (100 pages).
- Recommended Community Strategies and Measurements to Prevent Obesity in the United States (90 pages).
- This CDC document offers comprehensive information on implementing and measuring community programs for the prevention of obesity.
Other Obesity-Related Resources:
- Center of Excellence for Training and Research Translation
- An online training source for obesity and other chronic disease practitioners.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
- Website for treating obesity in adults and offering an array of obesity resources.
- Guide to Community Preventive Services (The Community Guide)
- The CDC’s free resource to guide public health practitioners implementation of community-level interventions.
- Weight-Control Information Network
- Publications and other resources on nutrition, physical activity and weight control.
- The Rudd Center
- Yale University’s Food Policy website, featuring briefs and reports on changing policies related to food, restaurants, schools, taxes and other obesity issues.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center to Prevent Childhood Obesity
- Facts, tools, resources and an obesity backgrounder focused on preventing childhood obesity.