Who Is It For?
Anyone who wants to promote safe walking routes in their community.
How Do You Get It?
This resource is distributed electronically and can be downloaded from this page.
How Is It Used?Provides step-by-step guidelines to mapping out walking routes in and around communities, schools, worksites and faith-based organizations.
A common barrier to physical activity is the lack of a safe, convenient, inexpensive place to be physically active. The Move More Walking Map Guide addresses this barrier by providing step-by-step guidelines to promote safe walking routes in and around communities, schools, worksites and faith-based organizations to encourage people to move more.
The Move More Walking Map Guide encourages the user to create routes in areas such as parking lots, neighborhoods, and around the outside or inside of large buildings. Tips for exploring other elements such as marked distances, varying lengths and destination points are also included. The guide then walks the user through the process of creating a map, directions for the route, and promotional activities that can increase awareness and use of the route.
A PDF version of the Move More Walking Map Guide can be downloaded here:
- Move More Walking Map Guide – Low resolution version for desktop printers
- Move More Walking Map Guide – Professional printer version
As a supplement to the guide, also released today are several examples of walking maps that have been create by diverse groups across the state. Together, these tools will get you started on you own walking map to help others in your community Move More!
Walking Map Examples:
- Alamance County—Downtown Burlington Walking Maps
- Alamance County—Graham Walks—City of Graham
- Caldwell County—County Walking Map
- Carteret County Trails Guide
- Granville County—Granville Athletic Park Walking Map
- Guilford County – Atlantic and Yadkin Greenway
- Guilford County – Greensboro’s Watershed Trails System
- Guilford County – Latham Park Greenway and Lake Daniel Greenway
- Mecklenburg County—CPCC Central Campus Trails
- Mecklenburg County—CPCC Cato Campus Trail
- Mecklenburg County—CPCC Harper Campus Trail
- Mecklenburg County—CPCC Harris Campus Trail
- Mecklenburg County—CPCC Levine Campus Trail
- Mecklenburg County—CPCC North Campus Trails
- Montgomery County—Downtown Troy
- Randolph County—Asheboro Health Department Walking Map
- Randolph County—Asheboro Weekday Walking Map
- Randolph County—Liberty Weekday Walking Map
- Wake County—Downtown Area Walking Map
- Wake County—NC Cultural Resources Downtown Walking Map
- Wake County—NC Division of Public Health Walking Map
- Wake County—Dorothea Dix Campus Walking Map